You can rarely get more flexible than with data entry jobs from home. Whether full- or part-time, they present an excellent opportunity to work from home.
Data entry jobs are open for students, stay-at-home moms, retirees, or anyone looking for some extra cash. You need no more than a computer, an internet connection, and decent typing and language skills.
See also: Online Jobs: Work from Home
Online Data Entry Jobs From Home (Entry Level)
This article introduces you to the most popular legit companies that offer data entry jobs from home.
If you are looking for a work from home data entry job, then you should try out our favorite – Swagbucks.
They are available in the following countries: the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Ireland, Germany, France, and Spain.
They are our favorite platform because unlike any other platform in this article, they offer various ways to earn and work from home.
Here are a few of the ways you can earn money with:
- data entry jobs
- answer surveys
- watch advertised videos
- play sponsored games
- use their Yahoo-powered search engine
- get cashback from your purchases
- and more.
Swagbucks is great because if you do a data entry job and feel like you need to take a break from this, you can have fun on the Swagbucks platform and still get paid for it. Usually, they don’t pay per hour, but instead per task or assignment.
For example, during the testing phase, one of our personal-finance experts signed-up for Swagbucks and decided to give it a try for one week, working from home 8 hours per day. The results were over our expectations, she earned 42,530 SB’s, which is equivalent to $425.3 USD, within one week.
Although it might not replace your current income level, it is definitely worth to try Swagbucks data entry jobs out as a side income gig. It’s an excellent way to make extra income to your base salary.
The best thing about Swagbucks is that you can decide how much and when you would like to work. You can do it full- or part-time.
Try it out:
If you are looking for a remote and flexible data entry job, then you should try out Clickworker. They are constantly looking to hire online data entry specialists working from home as independent contractors. This is perfect home job to earn extra money.
Fortunately, they are not only available in the United States, but in every country which has PayPal, TransfeWise, or something similar. You need to make sure the payment methods work in your country before you start working.
This site distributes tasks to more than 300,000 independent contractors worldwide. Its major clients include both individuals and big companies that offer large projects. The freelancers are paid per job done; therefore, earnings depend on how fast a person is. Several earnings reports I have seen exceeded $500 per week or $11 per hour (disclaimer: they worked more than 8 hours per day).
The best thing about this job is that you can determine how much you want to earn and when to work. You are expected to have the necessary equipment for the job and be able to maintain your computer because the company does not provide technical assistance.
If you are considering a transcription job, best head to Scribie. This site occasionally offers data entry jobs from home as well.
Companies post audios on the website for freelancers to transcribe. A great thing about this site is that you can listen to the audio before you decide whether to take the job.
Moreover, you can work unlimited hours and set up your own schedule, logging in at your pleasure and picking the jobs you want. In short, you can be your own boss and determine your paycheck.
Another feature that makes Scribie an excellent choice is that no special qualifications are required. Simply apply, do a transcription test, and you are good to go!
This is another excellent online job marketplace. In contrast to FlexJobs, Microworkers lists tasks that employers need to be completed within a specific timeframe.
Even though most of these tasks pay modestly, they don’t require much time to complete. Basic data entry jobs are among the popular entries on Microworkers.
Another important thing to note about this site is that the hours you may want to work are not limited. You can pick as many jobs as you want or have time to do. These are typically tasks that do not require much training and skills, so you can make a few dollars in your spare time with Microworkers.
SigTrack is perfect for those looking for a legit site with lots of work from home data entry jobs. It caters to all: from entry-level workers to highly qualified specialists. The most successful candidates are people who follow the rules strictly, type fast, and operate flexibly.
You can work either full- or part-time and earn extra money per hour. Thus, if you are looking for jobs online, this is something you might want to consider.
If you have good reading and writing skills and can work without being micromanaged, you should give SigTrack a try. The only limitation I see with this site is that only US residents can get jobs.
6. Capital Typing
If you are a transcriber, a data entry clerk, or a researcher, I suggest you get cozy with this site. Capital Typing, an outsourcing company based in South Carolina, offers a variety of jobs, including data entry and clerical positions. It hires freelancers to perform the tasks on behalf of its clients.
To work at Capital Typing, contact the company’s customer service through its website, request the information you need, and then apply via the employment page. If considered for a data entry job position, you will have to fill out some paperwork and do a Skype interview.
7. Birch Creek Communications
If you are a pro in data entry, transcription, or market research, Birch Creek Communications will be a great fit for you. The Montana-based company hires freelancers who work in these fields. The independent contractors who sign on are not allowed to subcontract.
To qualify for a job, you must be a US citizen. This may not be the ideal fit, because, the company is so strict about this rule that it runs background checks and requires fingerprints.
No technical assistance is provided, so the remote worker needs to be fully equipped. Visit the official website for details on how to apply.
8. DionData Solutions
DionData Solutions offers opportunities for data entry work at home with comfort at any time, especially when you are a freelancer dealing in data entry work. They hire independent contractors to enter data from images provided by the clients. Payment is per the job done. You may also work part time if you’d prefer.
You are suitable for the job if you can type 60 words per minute and have the necessary computer skills. In addition, your communication skills must be excellent.
You are also expected to have the equipment and be able to maintain your computer as no technical assistance is provided. The other essential requirement is the ability to work in the United States, which you need to prove.
This is quite good for someone who is looking for data entry jobs, wants to work from home and make extra money. If you want more information, please reach out to the United States customer service center.
If you are looking for remote and flexible data entry work at home, you may want to try FlexJobs. This established platform is among the greatest job sites you’ll come across. It is ideal for anyone looking to make some extra income with data entry work at home.
This site works with many companies to bring its users a wealth of flexible data entry jobs from home. You don’t have to worry about scam projects because FlexJobs vets all positions before publishing them. Just log in, search for data entry jobs, and find something you consider worth your time.
Please note there is a fee charged for access to the job posts for online data entry jobs from home. Pick a plan you are comfortable with, could be a part-time if you want, and start working. This is a great option for people who prefer to work at home.
10. Axion Data Entry Services
This United States based company hires independent contractors who perform data entry jobs and work from home for its clients, with the jobs mostly involving data entry for images. The main requirements for working for Axion Data Entry Services is basic knowledge in computer and internet use, the ability to follow instructions, and data entry skills.
Independent contractors are expected to solve their hardware and software problems, so advanced computer skills would be an advantage. A criminal background check is performed on the applicants, guaranteeing a safe working environment. This may be a good option if you are searching for data entry jobs and want to work from home.
After an applicant is pronounced clean, he or she signs a confidentiality agreement and can start working. Payment is per piece done, so you decide how much you want to take on.
What skills do data entry jobs require?
If you are searching for home data entry jobs to work at home part time there are a few things to consider.
The main thing required for online data entry jobs is basic computer knowledge. Other relevant ones include but are not limited to:
- Good typing skills. Most hiring companies that are looking for data entry specialists require that you have strong typing skills. Some are more specific, stating that you must be able to type 60 words per minute to qualify.
- Computer skills and software knowledge. Those independent contractors who possess advanced knowledge of computer hardware and software have an advantage for data entry jobs from home. Many companies do not offer technical assistance to their contractors. Therefore, it is up to you to fix such issues when they arise.
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills. You need to be conversant in basic English and have the necessary numeracy skills to be able to work in data entry.
- Organizational abilities. Data entry jobs and doing work from home require somebody who is organized both physically and mentally. Exceptional organizational skills will help you perform well in any project setup.
- Administrative skills. These include the ability to perform tasks such as sending emails.
- Good communication skills. You must be good at both written and verbal communications.
- Ability to talk politely on the phone. Proper phone etiquette is one of the attributes a good data entry clerk should possess. Most of the communication between you and the clients involves talking on the phone.
- Good customer service skills. These will allow you to work well with the company and its clients.
- Self-motivation. Excellent work results are highly dependent on inner motivation.
- Ability to work independently and in a team. Some tasks can be tackled independently while others require that you work as part of a team. Having this ability is essential.
- A responsible attitude to work. To deliver quality and on-time work, you must have a positive and responsible attitude.
- Attention to detail. You need to be detail-oriented and able to follow the instructions provided.
- Ability to do the same tasks for an extended time. Many projects involve doing repetitive work. You must be able to handle this without getting bored or distracted along the way.
- Good spelling and grammar. A spelling or grammatical error can cloud or distort the meaning. You should have solid skills in these language areas.
- Knowledge of data and confidentiality matters. Data and information are private. That is why a contractor should always sign a confidentiality agreement with the clients before the collaboration begins.
How much can you earn in data entry?
Companies pay differently depending on several factors. Currently, there is a lot of work in data entry, but what you earn depends on the agreement you signed with the company that has hired you.
How can you avoid data entry scam jobs?
A lot of jobs that may appear legit to you are not. There are different types of scams you need to be aware of. They include:
- Scams asking you for money. Some scammers will ask you for a fee so that you can get jobs. They will say you have to pay for some tests, specific equipment required for the job, or something else. Beware of such fraudsters because once you give them money, you will never hear from them ever again. You might not be able to detect them quickly, so it is crucial to always stay alert.
- Scams offering money. This is another common type of fraud. An example is a scammer offering to write you a check and asking you to deposit it into your account. Later, they tell you to forward the money to somebody else for a reason that appears genuine. The check they have sent bounces, and you have already transferred your own money. Sometimes you might not know it because they do as much as possible to appear legit, often dragging the process so that you don’t become suspicious.
Ways of spotting data entry scams
Scammers can get to anybody, even to people who think they can smell fraudsters a mile away. So, how can you tell that something is a scam?
- Never pay for a job. Do not hand out any money until you are sure of the legitimacy of a deal. The jobs should be free to receive, and you should get paid upon completing it.
- Trust your gut. If something doesn’t feel right, trust your intuition and drop it. Many people who go against their gut feeling often get into trouble.
- Request a signed contract. This is very important before starting any work. Ask for a legal employment contract to ensure that you are hired by a legit company.
- Think twice about offers too good to be true. In general, data entry jobs don’t pay generous amounts unless some niche skills are required. If you come across a pay rate that seems too good, skip the project and move to the next one.
- Beware of paid training programs. There are legitimate training and certificate programs for data entry, such as medical coding and legal transcriptions. Beware of scammers who promise to train you. Do extensive research and, if possible, talk face-to-face with people who have completed the programs.
- Do thorough research on any company. Don’t just trust any company and send it to your personal information. Conduct proper research and make sure the website is legit. You can go as far as to ask the employer if you can talk to current workers. Don’t stop until you confirm the legitimacy of the company.
- Report if scammed. Report whenever you fall victim to scammers to spare other people a similar ordeal.
What alternatives are there to data entry online jobs?
See also: Best Online Jobs for Teens
Virtual assistants are remote workers who provide creative, technical, and administrative support to their clients. Just like in data entry, these are independent contractors who set their own schedules.
The clients are not responsible for tax-related issues, insurance, or any other form of benefit. The two sides communicate through phone calls, emails, or messaging applications. This is a great alternative for data entry work at home.
Similarly to data entry, proofreading lets you earn a living from the comfort of your home. Customers range from professional writers to large brands, job seekers, and students.
You can proofread any kind of content you are comfortable with. If you can go through a text and make it better, then proofreading is the field for you.
In freelance writing, independent contractors produce written content for various purposes, getting paid per data entry work done. The writers also have to market their skills, so you need to be creative to succeed in freelance writing.
Payment depends on what you negotiate. Some clients pay when the work is done, while others send a portion of the money in advance and the remainder upon delivery. Freelance writing can earn you good money as well as offer the flexibility you want.
What is expected of a data entry clerk?
The responsibilities of a data entry clerk are as follows:
- Entering account data from source documents within the time given;
- Reviewing, correcting, re-entering, or deleting data and checking the input;
- Sorting, compiling, and verifying the accuracy of information to prepare the source data for entry;
- Scanning and filing documents when required;
- Applying data program procedures and techniques;
- Doing the research and obtaining more information for incomplete records;
- Ensuring privacy and confidentiality;
- Accessing files and responding to queries;
- Ensuring that office equipment is used appropriately and addressing any issues that come up;
- Complying with security policies and data integrity;
- Performing backups for the data entry work.
What is accuracy in data entry?
Accuracy is one of the most important elements of data entry quality. Errors in data entry are unacceptable – they are costly and can harm the company. Accurate data entry is crucial for market analysis, research, and decision-making. Therefore, accuracy is vital to the success of a company.
It’s no use detecting errors when the damage is already done. Ensuring accuracy at the data entry stage is crucial. This means you will be able to identify the mistakes and correct them before they do harm.
To become good at this, you should:
- Go for data entry training before you start working;
- Do early error tracking;
- Always remember the importance of data entry work;
- Make your working environment comfortable;
- Improve your skills constantly and aim for high standards of data entry accuracy;
- Get enough operators to do the job;
- Buy the right software for the data entry job.
Data entry jobs will not earn you much, but it is still a good way of making a few dollars here and there to keep you going. It’s not demanding in terms of educational or professional background, so most people can do it.
We hope our information has proved useful. You should now have enough to fire up your computer and find that perfect data entry work from home for you. Happy scouting!
Read also: Ways How to Make Money Online and from Home